Two people were transported to hospital on Sunday following a carbon monoxide leak in an East Kildonan home.

The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) responded to a two-storey duplex on Callum Crescent around 7:20 a.m. yesterday. 

Crews discovered unsafe levels of carbon monoxide in both suites, as high as 600 parts per million (ppm).

Residents from one of the suites had self-evacuated before the arrival of emergency crews, and WFPS quickly evacuated the other suite. 

Two residents were assessed and treated at the scene by paramedics and transported to hospital in stable condition.

Fire crews ventilated the building thoroughly. Manitoba Hydro attended the scene to address the source of the carbon monoxide and make the necessary repairs.

The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service says carbon monoxide is an extremely dangerous colourless, odourless, tasteless gas produced by the incomplete combustion of fuels. Exposure can be deadly.

If you suspect carbon monoxide in your home, exit immediately and call 9-1-1.

To stay safe, install a carbon monoxide alarm on every floor of your home and follow these tips:

  • Have fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, wood-burning fireplaces and gas dryers cleaned and checked annually by a qualified service technician.
  • Make sure wood stoves are properly installed and vented.
  • Never idle vehicles in an attached garage, even if the garage door is open.
  • Ensure all fresh air intake vents, exhaust vents, and chimneys are clear of snow, ice, insulation, leaves, bird nests, lint, and debris.
  • Check forced air fans for proper ventilation.
  • Don't operate gasoline-powered engines, charcoal or propane barbecue/grills, or kerosene stoves in closed spaces or indoors.