An annual event for families is back this weekend.
Saturday marks the day of the Manitoba Hydro Santa Clause Parade. Although the parade doesn't start until 5 p.m., a number of roads are going to be closed early to accommodate.
Starting at 11 a.m. until 10 p.m., the following roads will be closed.
- Memorial Boulevard in both directions between Broadway and Portage Avenue
- Portage Avenue in both directions between Main Street and Memorial Boulevard
- Southbound Main Street from Portage Avenue to York Avenue
- Edmonton Street (northbound one-way) from Graham Avenue to Portage Avenue
- Vaughan Street in both directions from Graham Avenue to Portage Avenue
- Eastbound Portage Avenue East from Main Street to Westbrook Street
The parade route will begin westbound on Portage Avenue at Main Street, travel down Portage Avenue to Memorial Boulevard, then take Memorial Boulevard to Broadway where it ends.
Other drivers in the area should be aware that other streets will be impacted as well.
- All other north-south streets between Main Street and Memorial Boulevard will be local and parkade-access only between Ellice Avenue and Broadway
- Broadway, Memorial Boulevard, and northbound Main Street will remain open throughout the day, but are anticipated to be high-traffic areas
- Many turn and other travel restrictions will be in place on Ellice Avenue, York Avenue, Broadway, and Portage Avenue east of Main Street
Transit will be rerouted during the closures. Follow @TransitAlerts on X for details and updates.
Motorists are advised to allow additional travel time, use alternate routes to get to their destinations while the closures are in effect, and download the Waze app in advance and use it for real-time traffic updates.
For regular updates on City of Winnipeg lane closures and to view lane closures on an interactive map, please visit: City of Winnipeg - Regional Lane Closures.