Winnipeg Firefighters had a busy weekend, being called to six fires.

Starting just after 4 p.m. on Saturday after receiving a call from a single-family bungalow on Kirkwall Crescent, crews fought the fire from inside, declaring it under control at 4:42 p.m. No injuries were reported. 

At the end of the day, at 11:59 p.m. on Saturday, the WFPS were called to a garage fire in the 700 block of Broadway. 

Crews arrived at the garage fully engulfed in flames but had the fire under control at 12:43 a.m.

No injuries were reported, but the garage is considered a total loss. 

Just after 1 a.m. on Sunday, crews were called to a home on Remi Claeys Crescent that was on fire. 

All occupants safely self-evacuated. Paramedics assessed one individual at the scene and then transported them to the hospital in stable condition.

Firefighters then went to the 200 block of Martin Avenue East, shortly after 5 a.m.

Crews were met with heavy smoke and flames coming from the house and because of how heavy it was, they were unable to enter the house. Fighting the flames from the outside, it was declared under control 90 minutes later. 

Several neighbouring homes were evacuated as a precaution. No injuries were reported. 

Although the home was vacant, it is considered a complete loss due to heavy smoke, fire, and water damage. As the structural integrity of the building is compromised, arrangements are being made for the building to be demolished.

Residents are asked to exercise caution, as water used to fight the fire has frozen and created slippery conditions. City of Winnipeg crews will be monitoring conditions and applying sand and de-icing agents to roadways and sidewalks as required to improve traction.

Later in the afternoon, at 4:18 p.m., crews responded to reports of a fire in a tw-and-a-half storey duplex in the 400 block of Clifton Street. 

Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze after arriving. 

All occupants of the building self-evacuated before crews arrived. Three individuals were assessed by paramedics. One of them was transported to hospital.

Preliminary observations suggest the fire was accidental, caused by a malfunction in the operation of a clothes dryer.

The risk of these types of fires can be reduced by following these important tips:

  • Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional to ensure it is in good working order.
  • Do not use the dryer without a lint filter and always clean the filter after each load of laundry.
  • Periodically check the venting system to ensure there is no lint buildup and it is not damaged, crushed, or restricted.
  • Make sure the outdoor vent flap opens when the dryer is running.
  • Never leave a dryer running when leaving your home.