Classic 107 - Winnipeg's classical and jazz radio station.

Winnipeg's largest homeless shelter is 75 per cent of the way to having enough money to fund their expansion, and they're appealing to the public for the other 25 per cent. 

Construction on Siloam Mission's new building officially began today. The new 54,300 square foot building will add 50 shelter beds and more space for health services, mental health supports and transition services to meet a growing demand of people experiencing homelessness in the city. 

Siloam CEO Jim Bell said at a news conference today that they have $14.2 million of the $19 million needed to complete the project, which means they are now turning to the public for help with the rest. 

siloam extension 2

All three levels of government, local entrepreneurs and foundations have all contributed to the project. Most recently, John and Bonnie Buhler donated $3 million. 

Bell said it's a worthwhile cause and Siloam's volunteers work very hard, so he's hopeful Manitobans will step up alongside them. 

"We have done a great deal to reach this day but we have much more to do to complete the goals of this project and the overall goals of addressing homelessness in our community," Bell said.

People can donate by going to www.siloammakeroom.ca.